We all love eating. We cannot live without having our favorite foods beside us. But do we realize that our food habits can harm nature?
Nature helps us to grow edible things. There are foods that we obtain from soils and cannot be produced in any other way. There is a simple formula for the production of food, the higher the number of consumers, the higher the production of food. If we eat more, the food also needs to be produced more. Since we cannot sustain on processed and packaged food. Neither packaged food is good for our physical health nor suitable for our mother earth. We need to learn how to bring balance to our food habits.
What is Climatarian Diet?
The climatarian diet is the diet that one consumes to protect the climate. This means that your diet should consist of foods that do not harm the climate or environment. Few foods can harm nature. Their continuous production can increase their carbon footprint.
There are certain harmful chemical gases if released into the environment can cause harm to the earth and the climate. The gases like carbon dioxide, whose emissions can cause the greenhouse effect and can create heat strokes as well. The higher amount of carbon emissions into nature can damage the earth. These emissions can also be produced through foods. Therefore, the climatarian diet focuses on how to reduce these carbon footprints. The carbon footprint is the overall discharge of greenhouse gas (GHG) that can be caused by an individual or an event.
To avoid the unnecessary discharge of emissions, we need to look after our diet that can save our earth.
Which foods do we have to avoid?
Climatarians knows well what type of foods are supposed to be manufactured, prepared, and then transfer to different places. However, the climatarian diet is not similar to the traditional diet, we need to look after certain factors before producing anything.
- We should avoid growing foods that require a larger piece of land because it will also require double the amount of water and soil. All these are natural resources that can get exhausted if continued to use unnecessarily. To protect these resources, we should avoid producing such foods.
- Foods like sugar, chocolate, coffee, palm oil, and so on can lead to a greater amount of pollution. We should reduce the production of such foods. Even though we cannot completely eradicate the consumption of these foods in our diets but we can surely try to reduce the consumption of such foods.
- We should also avoid foods that cause ocean acidification. The water released into various areas from the place where food is grown can harm the animals leading them to death. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid growing such foods.
- If possible then we should limit our dairy intake. The livestock industries can produce GHG emissions at a higher level. As products like milk, curd, cheese are used almost daily in every person’s diet, these products need to be produced more to meet the demands of the consumers. If we delimit our consumptions, the production of these products will reduce too.
- Also, avoid the consumption of red meat. Beef is consumed by the consumers in a huge amount. And the production of beef alone contributes to almost 40 to 41 percent of GHG emissions. This can be harmful to our nature. Hence, reduce the consumption of red meat.
Instead, what we can include in our diet
Rather than consuming meat regularly, we can include leafy and green vegetables in our diet. We can reduce the amount of red meat and can switch to pulses which include beans, chickpeas, and all. Pulses are enriched with all the nutrients that our bodies require. Moreover, growing more pulses means less use of harmful fertilizers. This can save many water bodies from death and will also protect the soils. We can also switch to locally grown foods. The local foods require minimum transportation and can serve your plate in no time. It also saves the food from all the packaging, which is needed to keep the food fresh for a longer period.
Climatarian diet aims to save the earth and reduce the use of procedures that can either destroy soil or land. Food cannot be replaced by any other thing; therefore, we should try to replace our bad food habits. Our one bit can save lots of lives along with our physical health.