Do you want something hearty, comforting, and delectable?
Here are five plant-based diets to try.
1. Vegan chicken noodle
A plant-based diet of the classic comfort food we all know and love. It is delicious, incredibly simple to make, and will help you feel better if you’re sick.
This comfort classic is as flavorful and hearty just like the original, but without the meat!
- You will need;
2 sliced carrots (large)
Vegan chicken stock
Diced onion (your preferred choice
Noodle (your preferred choice)
Vegan chicken seasoning
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the chopped onions until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute, or until fragrant.
- Sauté the sliced carrots, celery, vegan chicken seasoning, dried basil, and dried thyme with the mixture for about 5 minutes, or until they start to soften.
- Stir in the vegan chicken stock, vegan chicken, and a bay leaf.
- Cook the mixture till it starts boiling softly
- Reduce from medium-high to medium-low
- Noodles should then be added and cooked uncovered for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are firm.
- Take out the bay leaf.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Ready to serve, with toppings of your choice.
2. Tomato sauce (spicy)
This flavorful and veggie-packed vegan tomato soup recipe is comforting and easy to make. You’ll enjoy how the flavors meld to create a flavorful and satisfying texture.
- 400g chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves,
- peeled and sliced ginger
- coriander, chopped
- Green pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Vegetable stock,700ml, cooled
- 1 medium green chili, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce
- 5 tablespoons basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons natural yogurt (optional)
- Blend the tomatoes, tomato purée, garlic, and ginger with the stock in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add the chipotle, chopped coriander, green pepper, most of the chili, and seasoning to a large pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat before adding the rice and cooking for another 10-15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- If the soup is too thick, thin it out with water or stock.
- Serve as desired with a large helping of yoghurt the remaining coriander and chili,
3. Vegetarian cassoulet
- 20g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil,
- Thinly slice leek
- 1⁄2 lemon, zested
- 10g flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot(diced)
- 2 stalks of celery (diced)
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 400g tin cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 70g fresh whole meal breadcrumbs
- 6 leaves sage, very finely chopped
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 120g shiitake mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- Bay leaves
Preparing the mushroom
- In a sizable heat-resistant bowl, add the dried mushrooms.
- Soak in 200ml freshly boiled water.
- 20 minutes of soaking should result in very soft mushrooms.
- Take out the mushrooms, returning any liquid to the bowl with a squeeze.
- Reserve the liquid after passing it through a fine-mesh sieve.
- The soaked mushrooms should be roughly chopped and set aside.
- With a generous pinch of salt, cook the leek, carrot, celery, and garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil in a large casserole over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- After adding the mushrooms, cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until they begin to brown.
- Cook for 1 minute after sprinkling with paprika.
- Stir in the reserved porcini mushrooms and their soaking liquid, then add the beans, tomatoes, thyme, and bay.
- Season to taste. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- In order for the liquid to slightly reduce, remove the lid and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Heat the grill to medium-high while you wait.
- In a big bowl, mix the lemon zest, sage, and breadcrumbs.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil and toss everything together. Season the stew to taste and stir in the parsley.
- Place the dish under the grill for four to five minutes, or until the top is golden and crisp.
- Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
4. Vegan bean stew
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 3 tbsp barley with pearls
- 2 celery sticks, diced small
- 1 large chopped leek
- 150g leafy greens, shredded, and woody stalks removed
- 1L vegetable broth
- 1 tin 400g borlotti beans
- The garlic, carrots, celery, and leeks should all be added to a large pan that has been heated with 2 tbsp of oil. Cook until soft.
- Combine the stock, tomato purée, and barley in a mixing bowl.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
- Cook for 5 minutes more after adding the beans and greens.
- As desired, serve
Discussion about this post