The hype of having a pet at home is trending everywhere. Moreover, pets also make great companions. But they can be harmful too if we do not take their proper care. Since animals cannot help themselves, we humans have to look after them. Pets can carry a variety of germs like bacteria, viruses, worms, parasites, and many others. These germs can be spread and can cause many harms to the humans surrounded by their pets. Therefore it is important to know about diseases a pet can carry and how to cure them.
Types of diseases
Ringworm: If you see any kind of raised bump of red color with round areas, then your pet gets the disease known as Ringworm. They are dry patches that can cause itchiness around the area they are formed.
Rabies: During this time, a pet can be suffered from fever. They will also have difficulty in swelling. But gladly this disease is rare in the United States because of the vaccination given to the dogs.
Tick-borne diseases: This disease can occur because of the bite of a tick and they can be infected with harmful viruses, bacteria, or parasites. The common tick-borne diseases in the United States are Rocky mountain, Relapsing fever, Rash illness, and many so on.
Toxoplasmosis: This disease is found in cats. Their waste material may consist of several parasites that can cause many diseases in human beings. They did not cause any harm to healthy people but a woman who is pregnant has to worry about this infection.
Cryptococcosis: This disease is majorly found in pigeons and can cause diseases like pneumonia.
Psittacosis: If you have birds then you have to take care of this disease. This can happen due to the dirt and poop present in the cages of birds. This is a type of bacteria that can infect your birds and is also known as parrot fever.
Steps for Safety
- Give your pet regular baths and clean them properly. There are various products available in the markets specifically for pets, you can use them for your pets.
- Try to vaccinate your pet regularly. This reduces the chance of getting any kind of disease and your pet can stay happy for a longer period.
- Take your pets to visit a veterinarian regularly. That is how you will know if anything wrong goes with your pet.
- Wash your hands nicely as soon as you touch your pet. They carry many germs that can be spread in humans too.
- If you have children below 5 years, then keep away from your pets and avoid direct contact with the pet.
- Try that your pet consumes a healthy diet. Avoid giving them anything you prefer to eat. Take time to understand the diet of your pet.
- Pregnant women need to keep themselves away from animals, as you will not know what germs they are carrying.
- If you have birds then try to clean the cage regularly. Avoid piling up the poop of the birds. That can cause several infections in birds.
Pets also need care
Animals are sensitive creatures and therefore, it is important to look after them. If you are keeping a pet then they are no less than your family member. They also demand the same love, care, and attention. If you want them to look happy, then take good care of them. Treat them with love and pay attention to their physical health too. Because if they suffered from any kind of infection, they may be harmful to you too.
Discussion about this post