Sleep that makes you wake up refreshing and energetic is known as deep sleep. A night of deep and sound sleep is an essential element in a person’s everyday hustle. It helps in restoring, replenishing, and healing the body tissues and muscles. Light to moderate-intensity exercises such as leisure swimming, walking, yoga, stretching, and light weight lifting helps to have a good night’s sleep. Studies indicate that exercising 90 minutes before bedtime helps in producing more deep and fulfilling sleep. Low to moderate-intensity workouts are best suited for relaxing your mind and body. Let’s take a deeper look at the benefits of exercise before bedtime.
Exercise helps in calming the brain and body
Aerobic exercises help in the release of certain chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins are responsible for keeping people awake. Exercising helps in switching off of such chemicals. In addition, it helps in calming the brain down giving a subtle and serene sleep.
Role of exercise/ workouts in treating insomnia
Exercises play a key role in fighting insomnia, sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, and other sleeping disorders. Individuals who work out before sleeping are able to sleep faster and longer. It helps in reducing pre-sleep anxiety and stress.
- Insomnia works parallelly with anxiety, stress, and depression. Anxiety, stress, worry, and agitation interfere with quality sleep. By controlling the amount and concentration of endorphins, workouts help mitigate such thoughts.
- Higher body temperature interferes with one’s ability to sleep properly. As you work out, the temperature of your body increases. However, post-exercise the body temperature decreases thereby giving a cool and calming effect. Control of temperature helps in producing good quality of sleep.
- Misaligned internal body clocks are a major cause of insomnia. Exercise serves as one of the best ways for realizing the internal body clock. It boosts the production of serotonin that keeps the sleep-wake cycle of your body in check. So, by increasing the brain’s ability to produce serotonin, workouts regulate the quality of one’s sleep.
Workouts help in relieving tension and stress headaches
Tension headaches are characterized by intense pain in the neck, head, and eyes. Furthermore, tension headaches cause feelings of a tight band around the forehead. It causes tenderness around the forehead and scalp areas. In addition to carbohydrate-rich diets and sufficient water, light exercises before sleeping are crucial in treating such headaches.
Exercise helps to increase the flow of blood to body tissues and muscles
Proper and adequate blood circulation is essential for optimal health and fitness. So, exercise is a great way of helping the heart to pump blood faster through one’s arteries. Increased blood flow to the brain elevates the oxygen levels in the body. This helps you in performing better. Here is a list of various light-intensity exercises that you can do before bedtime.
- Stretching- Flexing and stretching muscles of the body is a great way for reducing muscular tension and stress. You can do hamstring stretch with Hip flexor and quad stretch before sleeping. Neck and chest stretching exercises help in relieving tension on neck muscles.
- Bedtime yoga- It is a great way to treat insomnia. In addition, it helps in improving the quality and sleep and life. Child’s pose, leg on the wall pose, and yoga Nidra are some of the gentle yoga poses that prove to be effective and useful.
- Leisure swimming- Swimming can be an excellent way to build endurance and cardiovascular fitness. It helps in calming the unsteady mind. In addition, it improves the quality of sleep.
Because a good night’s sleep is essential for you!
After the hustle of the entire day, your sleep must be peaceful and deep. It helps in fighting everyday challenges and makes your body sturdy. Exercise facilitates the production of chemicals and hormones that maintain the sleep-wake cycle. A consistent routine of working out 90 minutes before bedtime every day can boost deep and adequate sleep. Bedtime workouts assist in energy restoration, cell regeneration, increasing blood supply to muscles, and promoting the repair of tissues. Deep sleeping is crucial for hormonal balance and body healing. In addition, the absence of deep sleeping can make you feel sick or depressed. So, with exercise, you might and body activities slow down post-workouts, giving a relaxed state of mind. But if you still have trouble sleeping, then you must take professional advice.